Are you struggling with damp, mould or any other types of disrepair?

You could be eligible to claim up to £10,000 in compensation & repairs.

Fill out the form below for a call back as soon as possible

Claim up to £10,000 compensation

FREE no obligation quote

Get your damages fixed hassle free!

🗸  ANY disrepair that has caused ill health
🗸 Damp or rotten flooring
🗸 You may be entitled to compensation
🗸 Get Your Damages Fixed

🗸  Damp or mould that’s NOT caused by condensation
🗸 Broken or faulty boilers or central heating systems
🗸 Free no obligation assessment
🗸 100% No Win No Fee

Some examples of damage found...

Damp and Mould

Electrical Faults

Japanese Knotweed​

Roof Leaks

Broken Boilers

Structural Defects


Gather Information

After we receive your claim form, we will start to gather information on your property’s Disrepair. Here we will assess whether you are eligible to claim.


Allocate a Solicitor

Once we have gathered all the necessary information for your case, we will allocate it to a panel of solicitors for vetting. Working on a NO WIN, NO FEE basis.


Arrange a Contract

We will liaise with the solicitors to arrange for contracts to be completed. We ensure you will have a strong case, with evidence that your solicitor can use in the legal process.

Our Investigation Process

1 - Conditional Fee Agreement Signed

The conditional fee agreement (no win, no fee) is signed to agree to the terms of the case. This will be sent to our law firm to start work

2 - Welcome Pack issued

A dedicated case handler will be allocated and the law firm will send a welcome pack to you and process your application

3 - Inspection

National Disrepair Claims will arrange for a Rics Qualfied surveyor to attend. This will confirm that you have Disrepair and look at any damage and issues as a result

4 - Survey Report Drafted

An expert survey report will be drafted and supplied to your law firm

5 - Letter of Claim

A letter of claim will be drafted and provided to your Landlord along with the inspection report.

6 - Settlement

Your Solicitor will fight your case and agree settlement and the completion of all repairs.


By submitting your details on this form, you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. To find out if you are entitled to a claim an expert will contact you. Throughout the process, you could be contacted via phone, SMS, email and/or post.

How do I know if I can claim?

As a tenant, you must have informed your landlord of the disrepair before a case can be brought against them. A housing disrepair claim can be brought by you, the tenant, against a landlord if they have failed to act once you’ve notified them of the disrepair and it has posed a potential danger to your health and safety.

Landlords have a duty of care to tenants, and the law requires them to keep accommodation in an adequate state of repair and ensure it meets health and safety standards. You can make a housing disrepair claim against your landlord when they have failed to meet these standards.

Can I get the repairs done as well as receiving compensation?

If we win your case, all the repair work will be done without any cost to you. Depending on how severe the issues are in your property and the impact it has had on you and your family’s health, you could receive compensation worth thousands.

Even if your landlord, local authority or housing association, has offered to fix the property, but hasn’t started the work yet, you should still make a claim as we can get a firm work completion date for you, as well as pursue compensation on your behalf.

Who can I claim against?

You can make a claim against any council or housing association landlord if you reported damage or disrepair to them and it wasn’t fixed quickly.

Listed here are some of the larger UK-based housing associations, however this is not an exhaustive list. If you rent your home from any council or housing association in the UK, please get in touch with us as you could be owed compensation.

Call our experts today on

01254 658 088

Our panel solicitors collectively have vast experience working in the area of Housing Disrepair Law and have been winning disrepair claims for many years.

We ensure that you the tenant have an excellent legal journey, that your property is repaired to an excellent standard. We will also fight to ensure you receive maximum compensation.

Start your claim today! could be eligible to claim up to £10,000 in compensation & repairs.

Opening Hours

Monday –   9am- 5pm
Tuesday –   9am- 5pm
Wednesday- 9am- 5pm
Thursday – 9am- 5pm
Friday – 9am- 5pm

Contact Info

T:  01254 658 088

©2019. National Disrepair Claims. All Rights Reserved. is a trading style of Legal Services UK Ltd whose registered office is Suite 5 35  Fore Street, Lower Darwen, Darwen, England, BB3 0QD, Company number .08581158  Legal Services UK Ltd is limited company regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Number: 836511