Housing Disrepair Claims

Does your home suffer with Housing Disrepair?

Housing disrepair can include dampmould, condensation, leaks, drainageflooding(internal and external i.e. the garden), repointing of cracks, missing or loose tiles, structural cracks, insect and vermin infestation, poor ventilation, boiler issues, no running or hot water or heating.

Any disrepair falls to the landlord whether you’re living in either a housing association or council-owned properties, or tower blocks.

Nobody should have to accept poor living conditions. The Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation Act) means that repairs are now contractual and any breach of contract and allows the tenant to make a housing disrepair claim.

If you are a tenant, living in rented property which has fallen into disrepair, you may have a Housing Disrepair Claim against your landlord. 

If your landlord has failed to repair faults or not kept the house in good condition you may find that your home becomes damaged. All landlords have a legal obligation to maintain the structure and exterior of their property to a reasonable standard of repair.

The landlord’s obligations are set out under several pieces of legislations, namely, the Landlord and Tenant Act (LTA) 1985, which applies to tenancies entered into after 1961. In summary, section 11 ensures the landlord will:

  • keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling, including drains, gutters and external pipes,
  • keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling for the supply of water, gas, electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity, and keep in repair and proper working order the installation in the dwelling for space heating and heating water.


Landlord refusing to fix your property?

If your landlord refuses to fix the property, you can force them to do the works and claim compensation. You can receive compensation for a number of different reasons when bringing a Housing Disrepair Claim.

You can recover compensation for:

Damage to belongings – you can include the value of this damage in your claim for compensation. Examples of this can include mould-affected clothing and bedding, carpets ruined by a leak or electrical appliances damaged by electrical problems. Compensation for damage to belongings will only cover the cost to you of repairing or replacing the damaged goods. This would mean that you may get less than the cost of the item new, as you would be expected to buy second hand items to replace them. You would need evidence such as photographs, and receipts to show you have had to purchase a replacement or repair the item or items.

Personal injury – you can claim for any ill health that the disrepair has caused yourself or anyone who is living within the property. The amount of compensation you receive will depend on a number of factors, including the severity of your illness and how long it has lasted. You will also be able to recover any financial losses you have incurred as a result of your illness such as lost earnings.

Any inconvenience that you have been caused by the disrepair that can either be a miscellaneous cash sum or a partial rebate of your rent for the affected property during the period of disrepair. For example, if you are unable to sleep in your bedroom due to severe mould and damp, you can claim for the effect this had on your ability to use your home.

The amount of compensation you will receive depends on the severity of the disrepair, how long the disrepair has been present and the effect on you as an individual.

We are highly experienced in helping people who have suffered because of failures on the part of their landlord, especially against local councils and housing associations. We understand that making a claim against your landlord may appear daunting at first, but we are here to make sure the process remains as straightforward and stress-free as possible. We will guide you through the entire process, providing the assistance you require every step of the way.

If you feel you may have a Housing Disrepair Claims, get in touch with National Disrepair Claims today using the link below https://nationaldisrepairclaims.co.uk/start-your-claim

In the first instance, you should always notify your landlord of the issues in your property. If any maintenance or repair issues are needed, but are not, and result in your home becoming unsafe or inadequate to live in, then you could be eligible to make a claim.


If you are renting a flat in a tower block then it is important to know what your landlord is responsible for and what you the tenant are responsible for. Your landlord is responsible for ensuring that the flat is fit for purpose which involves;

Maintaining the structure of the building, including

  • Walls
  • Ceilings
  • Roofs
  • Doors
  • Windows
  • Maintaining the plumbing and hot water system
  • Maintaining the electrics and gas
  • Maintaining the sewage and drainage system
  • Keeping the property vermin and pest free


The landlord must also ensure that the property poses no risks or hazards to the tenant. As a tenant you will be responsible for minor damages and repairs such as replacing a shelf or changing the lightbulbs, and keeping the property clean.

If your landlord has employed someone to carrying out repairs on the property or the tower block in general you should try and be assisting of the work (such as allowing access to your flat).


Have you reported your housing disrepair concerns to your landlord? Have your concerns been ignored?

If you are a tenant living in rented accommodation, your landlord is required by law to ensure:

– That the house you live in is in a good state of repair structurally
– That your house is free from damp and mould
– That your drains and gutters are clear and working as they should be
– That you have a working heating system
– That you have safe access to electricity, gas and water
– That you have working sanitation facilities i.e. toilet, basins, sinks, etc.
– That your home is free from vermin or insect infestation


In a house where repairs or works are needed, if the landlord fails to carry out the work within a reasonable amount of time after the issues are reported by you, then this could be considered housing disrepair.


Check that your landlord is responsible for the repairs – This will be within your tenancy agreement.

you’ve reported the problem (at least once) and given your landlord a reasonable amount of time to do the work.

Collate evidence to help support your case.


Suite 5, 35 Fore St, Lower Darwen, Darwen, Blackburn BB3 0QD

Opening Hours

Mon – Fri: 9 AM – 5 PM

Contact Info

01254 65 80 88


https://nationaldisrepairclaims.co.uk is a trading style of Legal Services UK Ltd whose registered office is Suite 5 35  Fore Street, Lower Darwen, Darwen, England, BB3 0QD, 

Company number .08581158  Legal Services UK Ltd is limited company regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Number: 836511