Common Types of Disrepair

Renting a poorly maintained property? You could be eligible to claim up to £10,000 in compensation & repairs.

Damaged Walls & Plaster

Damaged walls, including holes in walls, crumbling walls and collapsing/collapsed walls, can be a sign of underlying structural damage which can cause further, more serious problems. Tenants should report any concerns regarding walls to their landlord as soon as they identify them so that they can be rectified.

Water Leaks

Water leaks or an ingress of water can cause significant damage if not repaired quickly and can result from rainwater entering the property from an outside source (an ingress of water) and can enter the property through a defective roof, damaged gutter or downpipe, cracks in brick walls or missing mortar, cracked or broken drainage pipes, a lack of or defective damp proof course or through defective or rotten doors or damage to windows allowing water to get into and cause damage to the property.

Defective Central Heating System​

Your landlord is obliged to ensure that the heating and hot water system remains in good repair and to ensure the boiler is checked and a gas safety certificate is produced at least annually. If you have reported a fault and you have no hot water or heating, depending on certain circumstances, your landlord is most likely expected to fix the problem within just a few days failing which you may be entitled to claim compensation as a result of your landlord’s failure to comply with its legal obligations.

Damp and Mould

Many properties, in particular older houses, experience cases of damp, meaning it should be a problem that all landlords are prepared to encounter. Damp can be unsightly, unsettling and unhygienic and should be dealt with quickly to remove the problem. Damp can also be an indication of larger-scale structural problems and so it is important that landlords are aware of any cases of damp within the property.


Collapsed Ceiling​

A collapsed ceiling is an extremely dangerous hazard that should be dealt with as soon as possible. If you are living in accommodation where the ceiling has collapsed or looks close to collapsing, you must inform your landlord immediately so that they can rectify the problem.

Tenants should expect to live in safe and secure properties at all times and it the responsibility of the landlord to ensure that this is always the case.

Can Damp and Mould Affect your Health?​

Yes it can and commonly does. The NHS advise that you are more likely to suffer from respiratory problems, infections, allergies and asthma if you have damp and mould in your home and that it can also affect your immune system.

Some people are more sensitive than others with babies and children, elderly people, people suffering with skin conditions such as eczema, asthma and those with weakened immune systems being particularly sensitive.

Mould produces allergens, irritants and sometimes toxic substances that can cause allergic reactions like sneezing, runny nose, eye and skin rashes and asthma attacks.

We appreciate that you may be reluctant to claim against your landlord but rest assured that your landlord is fully aware of its legal obligations and will understand that you are legally entitled to seek compensation as a result of a landlord’s failure to fall foul of its legal obligations.

We know how landlords work, we understand the maintenance and repair processes adopted by many social landlords and we know that sometimes landlords get it wrong and tenants can be let down and suffer as a consequence. Let our specialist housing team deal directly with the landlord on your behalf and ensure that the property is repaired and you receive the compensation you are entitled to.


Check that your landlord is responsible for the repairs – This will be within your tenancy agreement.

you’ve reported the problem (at least once) and given your landlord a reasonable amount of time to do the work.

Collate evidence to help support your case.

Opening Hours

Monday –   9am- 5pm
Tuesday –   9am- 5pm
Wednesday- 9am- 5pm
Thursday – 9am- 5pm
Friday – 9am- 5pm

Contact Info

T:  01254 658 088

©2019. National Disrepair Claims. All Rights Reserved. is a trading style of Legal Services UK Ltd whose registered office is Suite 5 35  Fore Street, Lower Darwen, Darwen, England, BB3 0QD, Company number .08581158  Legal Services UK Ltd is limited company regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Number: 836511